Which is better, Android or Windows Phone?





Coming from Android, I find WP to be a solid piece of software. No freezes, extremely smooth, slick and basically does exactly what I need without bombarding me with hundreds of notifications. Some apps definitely need polish (*cough* facebook), but at the same time the social integration makes you ignore 3rd party social networking apps altogether.

 If you are the kind of person that would be bothered by a lack of "instagram", "draw with friends" and other apps, go for Android. If you want a solid phone that just works, while offering good email, good battery life and a growing marketplace of applications and clear upgrade expectations, go for WP.

Also, if you are the kind of person that would venture into the lands of XDA-developers and download CM9, flash your kernel and download ROMs every once in a while, go for Android. I downloaded at least 7 different ROMS for my Android device and It was fun and all (being a techie, a cool learning experience), but mostly, I just ended up with unstable software and random reboots(disclaimer:some were decent rooms, I'm generalizing). On the WP device, the most exiting thing I've done is downloaded a phone update (that gave me tethering) ahead of schedule for my region.

I had an Android phone and honestly the lack of polish on the OS disappoints me. A single core Windows phone(my lumia 800) is smoother than any dual core android phone I've owned or played around with, and I've developed apps for Android, been with them for a long time (since the times of Dalvik JIT, and now the project butter) and I really hope they continue to improve so the market will remain competitive. Android battery life is also weaker (I imagine it's a result of their hardware race-- Dual Cores 1.5GHz, trying to make their OS appear as fast as OS6 / WP). In WP land, I honestly don't care what's under the screen (I don't know the clock speed of the processor, the MBs of RAM) because it gives me no reason to question its ability with its smooth UI.

For now, I continue to be satisfied with my Lumia 800( a front facing camera would be nice). The 900 has LTE(and a front facing camera) and the 920 is supposed to be amazing. In this era of Microsoft-hate, Microsoft has earned my respect with the Windows Phone.

I might just buy the Lumia 920 when it comes out. I'm a little disappointed with the "new features" of the iPhone 5, and as far as Android goes, i'll come back and see what's brewing in a year or so (It's Google after all, they do some serious engineering).

TL/DR: Go for WP. It's "different" but in a good way.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...